And we’re off! As I embark on my sixth “start of the school year” with you at IANR – we have much to be proud of for what has been accomplished the past few years. This fall is action-packed and promises to be exciting for all. I wanted to take a moment to draw your attention to a few upcoming events.
Nebraska State Fair: August 28 – September 7, 2015
As always, we will have a very large UNL presence at the Nebraska State Fair in Grand Island. A few items to pay special attention to include:
- 4-H Exhibit Hall – View more than 10,000 4-H exhibits from 2,500 exhibitors across the state, representing all 93 Nebraska counties.
- Raising Nebraska – Through a partnership with Nebraska Extension, the Nebraska Department of Agriculture, and the Nebraska State Fair, we created the Raising Nebraska Experience. This effort has been strongly and financially supported by a large number of ag industry partners. Located in the Nebraska Building, this is a year-round interactive learning center on the science of agriculture and food production. The exhibit opened last year, but there are many new features to check out this year.
- New this year – Raising Nebraska: Outdoors – an educational landscape shaped like the state of Nebraska, with a variety of crops, plants, trees, and grasses positioned in the areas of the state in which they are prevalent. The space is approximately 180 feet long and 120 feet wide. Walkways through the space represent the major river systems in Nebraska. There are also interactive kiosks, signs and demonstration areas.
- Next to Raising Nebraska is a new exhibit area called – STEMming into the Future. This is an interactive exhibit focusing on all things science, technology, engineering, and mathematics related. Big thanks to our various units who will have interactive displays in this exciting new area.
- CASNR/IANR Ice Cream Social – Sunday, September 6, 2015; 1-3 p.m. I Hospitality Loft, Five Points Bank Livestock Arena. All staff, faculty, students, alums and potential students are invited to attend!
- #UNLREDOUT Day – Fairgoers can show their Husker pride September 6 during UNL Red-Out Day at the Nebraska State Fair. From 1-3:00 p.m. various UNL departments will be providing hands-on activities for youth in the Family Fun Activity Center. At 3:00 p.m. there will be a Husker pep rally on the Family Fun Zone Stage. University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds, Husker cheerleaders, and Lil’ Red are scheduled to attend.
- More information about the fair can be found at www.statefair.org
IANR All Hands meeting: Thursday, September 10
Make plans to join me at 3:00 pm CDT in the Great Plains Room of the Nebraska East Union on Thursday, September 10, for the next IANR All Hands Meeting. Live web-streaming and archives of the session will also be available on http://ianr.unl.edu/all-hands-meetings. I will provide an update on what has happened since the last time we met in January and will outline our goals for the coming months. We will also announce the 2015 Omtvedt Innovation Awardees. Please make time in your schedule to attend in person, watch the live web-stream, or if not available during the session – to watch the videotape online at your convenience.
Husker Harvest Days: September 15-17, 2015
“Successfully weathering extremes” is the theme for Nebraska Extension exhibits dealing largely with planning for potential weather extremes, from climate change on the farm and ranch, as well as climate change-induced challenges and opportunities in everyday life. Entering UNL’s Husker Red steel building at Lot 321 on the south side of the exhibit grounds located near Grand Island, show-goers will get the latest information on the challenges and opportunities facing the economics of agriculture, including variability and extremes in planning successful agricultural operations. IANR has been part of Husker Harvest Days for nearly 40 years, since the first show in 1978. For more information on Husker Harvest Days, visit http://huskerharvestdays.com.
IANR Football Tailgates
September 26, 2015
- CASNR Alumni Reunion and Silent Auction
- Tailgate at 8:00 am | Kickoff: 11:00 am
- Huskers vs Southern Mississippi
October 10, 2015
- Tailgate 4 hours prior to game | Kickoff: TBD
- Huskers vs Wisconsin
November 7, 2015
- Tailgate 4 hours prior to game | Kickoff: TBD
- Huskers vs Michigan State
WHAT: Food, Football, and Fun! Free parking and shuttles to and from the stadium. Network with alumni, current students, and potential students. Hosted by the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Alumni Association and the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
WHERE: Great Plains Room, Nebraska East Union, University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Parking is available in the lot north of the Nebraska East Union, accessed off Fair Street.
No RSVP is required. More information is available here – http://ianr.unl.edu/tailgate
Nebraska Innovation Campus (NIC) Open House
Nebraska Innovation Campus is planning a grand opening and open house on October 9, where we will open the doors for the public to see all we are doing in our new spaces. More details will be sent at a later time. You can literally watch all of the progress on Innovation Campus by going to www.truelook.com/clients/tetrad-webcam/.
Rural Futures Conference: October 21-23, 2015
The 2015 Hope Inspires Vision Conference will be held in one of two locations: Lincoln or Curtis. During this year’s opening session which begins at 5:00 p.m. CDT on October 21, Howard G. and Howard W. Buffett will help set the stage for this year’s conference in a joint Heuermann Lecture dialogue with me by sharing with attendees glimpses from their book “40 Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World”. The conference agendas for both locations, Lincoln and Curtis, can be found on the conference website – http://rfc.nebraska.edu/ Registration is now open!